The AMFS seeks an experienced arts publications manager to create a wide variety of effective marketing and storytelling publications for this world-class classical music performance and training center. Must be a maniac about copy and project management with powerful editorial, advertorial, and marketing writing skills, strong technical skills, and exacting attention to detail. Part of a five-person marketing and public relations team. Full time and year-round in Aspen, Colorado.
JOB TITLE: Publications Manager
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Marketing and Communications
The Aspen Music Festival and School seeks an experienced arts publications manager to create a wide variety of effective marketing and storytelling publications to meet its marketing and communications goals.
The publications manager oversees all of the Festival’s marketing pieces, including the season brochures, Festival magazine, annual report, and recruitment pieces, as well as all ads, promotional posters, banners, postcards, flyers, stationery, and internal reports. To create these publications, the Publications Manager is responsible for understanding the goals and target tone of each piece, engendering collaboration among departments, creating and managing the production schedule, writing the copy, choosing the photos, working with an outside graphic designer, overseeing all revisions, staying within budget, and handling printing and distribution. Powerful editorial, advertorial, and marketing writing skills, and exacting attention to detail are a must–this person is the final set of eyes on any project before it goes to print.
Candidates should wish to work in an environment with high standards and with a desire to always strive and improve projects and processes. Springs and summers are fast-paced and have an all-hands-on-deck spirit; schedule flexibility and commitment are important.
This employee works integrally with a highly coordinated five-person marketing and public relations team. Collectively the department’s goal is to enhance the international reputation of the institution, communicate beautifully with all constituencies, and ensure the success of each event. The job is full time and year-round in Aspen, Colorado.
- Publications: Responsibility for the quality, timeliness, accuracy, and budget for all printed pieces; Write copy, choose photos, and work directly with graphic designer to create effective pieces that meet their goals; Make copy revisions and small design revisions within designed pieces with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop; Final proofreading and quality control on all pieces
- Advertising: Create creative for all print, digital, and airport ads
- Social media: Assist in creating content for social media streams
- Managerial: Oversees Publications Assistant
- Other: Read and assist with all copy in department such as email newsletter copy and press release copy; champion consistency between all pieces created in the organization; Design all pieces within brand guidelines and guide other departments to conform to brand guidelines; Oversee summer photographers and organization and management of photos; good knowledge of graphics file formats needed
Qualifications and Requirements:
Experience creating effective publications, preferably in the arts, including writing, editing, and production; Intense attention to detail in proofreading and meeting deadlines; Excellent technical skills, at least familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop, and proficiency with Excel; Knowledge of classical music is required; Excellent interpersonal skills; A marketing and “arts advocate” sensibility, strong team spirit, cheerful and positive attitude; Three or more years’ work experience.
Submit a cover letter noting why you are interested in the job and key experiences and qualifications, a resume, and two writing samples and/or publications you have created to Laura Smith, VP for Marketing and Communications, at LSmith@aspenmusic.org. No phone calls. Note: References, writing samples, and a proofreading test will be required.
Article source here:The Arts Journal