The Joyce Theater, located in the heart of Chelsea in New York City, is among the world’s best presentation venues for dance. With a 472-seat house, the theater was established by dancers for dance in 1982 and has exponentially grown to host approximately 48 weeks of dance companies annually, including intimate productions through Joyce Unleashed and large-scale internationally, renowned companies at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center, and more. The Joyce Theater Foundation’s mission is to serve and support the art of dance and choreography, to promote the richness and variety of the art form in its fullest expression, and to advance the public interest in, and appreciation of, dance and the allied arts of music, design, and theater.
Integral to shaping The Joyce Theater’s local and international acclaim, the director of programming works with the executive director to curate and manage the artistic programming at The Joyce Theater. He/she travels extensively to identify the best companies for The Joyce’s stage. The director of programming, in collaboration with the executive director, carefully constructs each Joyce season by selecting dance companies to balance dance genres, styles, and countries of origin. He/she helps choreographers and dance companies develop and share their work with the public and oversees The Joyce’s Commissioning program that allocates financial support to help choreographers fund the creation of new dance works.
The director of programming is responsible for the Joyce Theater Foundation programming activities and works interdepartmentally to disseminate pertinent programming information. He/she supervises the programming staff that currently includes four full-time staff members: Programming Manager, Producer, Programming Associate, and Artist Services Manager, and provides guidance to seasonal interns as well. With the oversight of the executive director, the director of programming will:
- program and oversee performances and programs for The Joyce Theater Foundation (Gala, Joyce Unleashed, offsite/outdoor events);
- work with other directors in development and marketing to determine best opportunities for the season;
- negotiate general financial and contractual terms and conditions for engagements;
- oversee residency programs, including selecting artists;
- with the executive director, select and oversee guest curators for the American Dance Platform and other Joyce programming as appropriate;
- allocate commissioning funds;
- provide service to the dance field through participation on panels, advisory boards, and committees as time permits and as approved;
- work with producing partner(s) to develop Joyce Theater Production projects;
- attend and evaluate local and international dance performances; and
- develop and maintain relationships with dance artists, companies, managers, and agents.
This is a full time, salaried position that reports to the executive director. Regular onsite office hours are required plus some evenings and weekends. The position includes extensive travel. Previous dance presenting experience preferred.
An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, The Joyce Theater is committed to an inclusive work environment. Please send your resume and cover letter to Linda Shelton, email@example.com.
Article source here:The Arts Journal